Since 1972, medical marijuana has been listed on the Controlled Substances Act Medical. However, throughout the years some states in the US have legalized the medical use of the drug. Currently, 17 of the 50 US states allow patients to use medical cannabis.
Medical marijuana has both opponents and supporters.
- Opponents say that the drug is dangerous to use, has not been approved by the FDA and is not necessary. They also claim that cannabis is addictive and affects both the brain and the immune system.
- Proponents say that medical marijuana is very safe. They claim that the drug is an efficient treatment for numerous types of diseases, including cancers, pain, AIDS and multiple sclerosis.
Medical marijuana supporters have always been very vocal in sustaining their cause. Actually, they protested at Obama’s campaign headquarters a few days ago, asking the president to support free access to medical cannabis. And this is just the most recent event of this kind.
As you can already imagine, the matter of marijuana legalization has always been a controversial subject and quite a complex one. Hundreds of thousands of people sustain it, while millions of Americans are not against the legalization of marijuana. Even celebrities support this cause. Actually, throughout the years numerous stars have sustained the importance of marijuana legalization.
Some of the most vocal famous people on this cause include:
- Tommy Chong is a famous supporter of the movement to legalize marijuana. The star has actually been sentenced to 10 months in jail for a scandal involving a drug company started in Paris.
- Tera Patrick is an adult movie star who has always claimed that marijuana should be legalized all around the US.
- Alanis Morissette is well known as one of the most vocal female celebrity proponents of the drug. The star admitted to occasionally use medicinal marijuana herself.
- Jack Black also is very public when it comes to his support for the cause.
- Woody Harrelson has never been afraid to admit that he uses marijuana. The star has actually been arrested for planting cannabis seeds.
- Snoop Dogg is another famous advocate of marijuana legalization. The star has been fined and arrested several times for the drug possession.
- Bill Maher is one of the Hollywood leading proponents of the drug’s legalization. He participated in numerous pro-marijuana festivals and events.
The aforementioned stars are not the only ones who advocate for the legalization of marijuana. Earlier this month, Lady Gaga claimed that the drug has totally changed her life. The singer added that she is determined to bring up the issue of medical marijuana legalization with Barack Obama. On the other hand, Larry Hangman said that cannabis brought his appetite back and helped him relieve pain after being diagnosed with cancer and undergoing chemotherapy.
Throughout the years, many celebrities have been arrested for marijuana possession. Numerous people have used the drug, too. However, opinions on this matter are still shared.